Today marks exactly one year since the start of my first big excursion: road-tripping up the California and Oregon coastlines to Seattle, the oldest city on my bucket list. In the twelve months since then, I’ve found ways to achieve so many of my personal goals that it’s almost hard to really understand why anybody would let their dreams go unrealized.
Your only excuse for not achieving your goals or fulfilling your dreams is exactly that – an excuse. If you really want to do it, then make it happen, do whatever it takes, set a specific timeline for yourself and don’t let anything or anyone stand in your way.
July 2016: Road-tripped up the West Coast from California through Portland to Seattle
August 2016: Solo-camped Big Sur
September 2016: Road-tripped from California to Texas via Las Vegas run-ins, the Grand Canyon, and Route 66
January 2017: Saw musicals on Broadway via Grand Central Station before pie in Brooklyn
April 2017: Ran around New England for libraries in Boston and lobster rolls in South Maine
May 2017: Solo-backpacked the United Kingdom for sights across the North Sea, the English Channel, the British countryside, and, best yet, the Doctor’s tenth regeneration in the flesh (swoon!)
July 2017: Road-tripped from Texas to baseball in Florida via watermelon on an Alabama church lawn and beignets in the French Quarter
Twelve cheers to what the next twelve months have in store! Do something for yourself.
Obviously, relocating 1600 miles from Fresno to Austin was the biggest thing I did this year, but some of these are just as important to me. Cheers, 2017!
2016 Firsts and Finallys
– Finally stepped foot on the PCT
– First and second long-distance road trips, 4800 miles (and partially along Route 66!)
– Finally absorbed Powell’s Books
– Played my first Cali gig (opened for Rin Tin Tiger!!)
– Performed solo for the first time, at an ATX open mic for the first time
– Finally owned a Ford Ranger
– Finally ran around Venice and Cayucos beaches
– Camped Half Moon Bay, Tahoe, Big Sur (first solo camping trip!), Crescent City, Portland, Seattle, and Mt. Shasta
– Finally saw the Pike Place Fish Guys, Safeco Field, and went up the Space Needle
– Finally learned how to throw a knife
– Had Cajun seafood in New Orleans (and alligator for the first time, mmmm)
– Finally started up a book review blog
– Finally saw the Grand Canyon
– Roasted my first campfire kolache
– Had my first official roommate (and brought home three gallons of cole slaw for the first time)
– Finally found the TARDIS
– Navigated to an out-of-town concert the old-fashioned way (no GPS, an unexpected first)
– Finally caught Devil You Know, Dream Theater, and Yellowcard
– Finally became a future sister-in-law
– Hung outdoor Christmas lights for the first time!
That’s all that’s currently in my bank account.
Quite literally. This year’s been tough, but! I still have a roof and warm water. I don’t like to be cold.
Things I can do with 29 cents:
- Check how deep my tire tread is
- Host a coin spinning contest with 28 other people
- Buy 1 3/4 packages of Ramen
- Support a busking musician
- Ingeniously repair more than one wobbly table or chair
- Open a small savings account between the sofa cushions
- Come up with a list of things to do with petty change
Anything else you can think of that I perhaps missed?